Today I talk about getting ready for my six month Dietbet where I have a shot at earning part of the $11,000 pot in a month. I've dusted off my stationary bike, and I'm really focusing on my food (it's always the food).
I've been using MyFitnesspal.com for a few months and I was looking into new gadgets and an article I came across stated that MyNetDiary.com was one of the best apps for weight loss. I thought I had heard of them all but this one was completely new to me. So I went over to check it out. Here are my thoughts:
You can track your food and exercise – nothing new hear.
You can have friends, groups, and they have a community. – again been there done that.
You can scan a bar code and the food get s entered into your food diary. – again lots of apps do this.
Measurements and personal blog- Yep
Recipes (multiple foods saved as one) – seen it before.
What is Different with MyNetDiary.com?
Here is what I don't see on other plans.
A food checking system. You can scan a bar code (or enter it by hand) and it gives it a score of -5 to +5. If you are in the grocery store and can't decide between two products this will analyze the food and give it a score.
It has a dietitian on staff to help answer questions
A way to take before and after pictures
A dedication to making it the fastest when it comes to entering food and stats.
In Some Cases It's an Improvement of Features
I would say when it comes to ease of food entry myfitnesspal.com and mynetdiary.com
The best food database, with the best balance of quality and quantity. Backed up by our PhotoFood Service – if some food is not in our database or out-of-date, simply send us its photos directly from the app and we will enter and verify all nutrients for you. It's a huge time-saver for you!
Works great online and offline, without internet connection. It syncs automatically with all of our mobile apps and the website. MyNetDiary provides rock-solid sync that just works.
All tracking apps have databases, but they seem to have a HUGE database and when it comes to selecting portions, there are no wheels to spin (which is always fun on a treadmill).
Their main focus is EASE of data entry, and SPEED. They know if its too much of a pain in the butt you won't use it.
The Different Flavors of MyNetDiary.com
MyNetDiary provides a great free iPhone app, covering all the basics, similar and often superior to popular MyFitnessPal and Lose It! apps. Includes free MyNetDiary website access for online food and exercise tracking!
The most popular of MyNetDiary iPhone apps is “PRO”. It costs only $3.99, but it provides a whole new set of awesome diet tools, going far beyond calorie counting, helping you eat better and lose weight faster. Here are some of the highlights of the PRO app:
- Weekly analysis, reviewing averages, providing tips and advice on vitamins, planning, and overcoming weight plateau
- Even faster food entry – copying foods from other days
- Recipe editor
- Customizing target macronutrient ratios, selecting up to 45 nutrients for tracking
- Nutrient, calories, activity charts helping you understand your diet better
- Food time tracking, helping you track individual snack meals
- PhotoFoods service – if a food is not in the database or out-of-date, you can send its photos and we will add or update the food for you
- Commercial barcode scanner – scans faster, especially in low light conditions
- Full set of body measurements to track
Includes free MyNetDiary website access for online food and exercise tracking!
MyNetDiary Maximum Subscription
The most powerful and advanced MyNetDiary tools are provided for MyNetDiary Maximum subscribers – the free app unlocks all the PRO features plus
- Custom trackers – track anything you want, your mood, your sleep – anything!
- Optional blood glucose and diabetes tracking – you don't need our special diabetes app if you are Maximum subscriber.
- Medication tracking
- E-mail reports from the app, to print or share with your healthcare provider
- Voice dictation of foods
- AutoPilot adjusting your diet plan to make sure you meet your targets
- Integration with Fitbit and Withings (configured on the website)
- Prices range from $5- $9 a month
My Final First Impression
I've used the app for two days and adding food was easy, and the iPhone app is intuitive enough for me to create a few recipes (which speed thins up even more).
When I tried to do a food check on a can of mountain dew the scanner failed (also on the 20 oz bottle) however I typed in a few letters and it found it in seconds (some times trying to be fancy is not the best way to go).
If you are looking to track everything, this is probably the best app and it is very flexible.
As I am using the Maximum version, I'm very interested in seeing how the auto pilot works.